11.30.2009

Kids and Christmas

I totally should not be doing this while I'm at work--it's tantamount to surfing the net or playing Plants vs Zombies in philosophy class, or something--but I don't want to put it off in case I forget.

Every Christmas when I was a kid, my family and I would give out groceries to the poor. We would load up our old Nissan Vanette with dozens of plastic bags filled with canned goods and instant noodles, and hand them out to the families living under the bridges of EDSA and squatting on the sides of the lesser roads of the city. We did that every year until we moved to California, when I was about ten. When I came back here, times were a bit tougher, and my family stopped the practice.


It didn't bother me much as a kid, but now the obligation to give to those in need lies a bit heavier on my chest. And that's why (finally I get to my point) I applaud Karylle Tatlonghari's efforts to make a few lonely children happy this Christmas. With the help of Childhaus and Magic 89.9 (okay this is reading like a plug, but I'm being sincere) Karylle's put up a wish list by kids with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. Check it out here: www.clink.ph. I myself pledged to give pooh pillows to a 7-year-old with congenital heart disease. 


A simple Pooh bear pillow to make one child's whole Christmas

My heart melts whenever I think of it. So there, that's my early Christmas message. Whaddaya say, hm? Let's make a few kids smile this holiday season? :)

2 comments:

  1. What a noble tradition your family used to have. Well, it will be great if get you continue it!

    And about your question... why not? Christmas, they said, is made especially for the kids, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, haha! What could be more Christmas-y than making a kid happy? :)

    Good on you, Jessica! The Lord's work right there :)

    ReplyDelete