11.28.2009

Choose Your Own Adventure

When I was growing up, one of my favorite children's stories was (ironically) Peter Pan. There was just something about the idea of never growing up that appealed to my imagination. Neverland and its mermaids and pirates, Lost Boys and fairies, Indians and flying and happy thoughts--it was my childhood paradise. 


Obviously I just got this from the Internet. Don't sue. It's a nice picture.

As I grew older, my tastes did too. I moved on to more mature books and more complicated tales. But the core of all my favorite stories was always adventure. From Milo's journey through the Lands Beyond in The Phantom Tollbooth, to Jim's travels on The Hispaniola, to Frodo's trials to get the Ring to Mordor, to Richard Mayhew's discoveries in the subways of London in Neverwhere, my taste for adventure followed me through the books I read.


And as I put to rest each story and turned the last page on every tale, I wondered to myself when I would ever go on my own adventure. Would I ever find that my closet actually led to another world? Would a tornado ever come and take me to my personal Oz? 

Obviously not. And I got used to the idea, living my life normally, never quite making it to another plane of existence. Then, one day last week, I and a group of like-minded friends decided: if adventure won't come to us, why don't we go find our own adventures? Before we get too old to take risks and break rules. Before we lose the thirst to do crazy things and live life with a little insanity. Before we forget what Neverland looks like.

And so we drew up The Epic List -- fifteen things we will do, as a group, to bring a little spice to lives that are in danger of being allowed to become bland. The List (which I'll put up as soon as I can scan it) includes breaking some minor laws and taking a few easy tasks to the next level. Tonight we will do one of those things (aren't YOU curious what it might be ;D ). 


It's gonna be crazy. It's gonna be awesome. It's gonna be... EPIC. An epic adventure. :)

12 comments:

  1. Good luck with your Epic List. When you guys get older, it would be fun to look back at this time of your lives when you were adventurous and full of youthful energy...and you would say with a smile on your faces, "I did this" and "I did that"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! have fund, don't get caught, but do take pictures. heheh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to see the EPIC LIST! Breaking rules is always fun, hahaha. Goodluck to you and your friends, the EPIC LIST will always be a thing that will bind your friendship.

    P.S. I guess it's also fun if you and Andi 9 make an EPIC LIST too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your list got me intrigued if its as Epic as Dan Humphrey's college bucket list in Gossip Girl 309. i hope to some great extent it is indeed as epic though

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your list got me intrigued if it's as epic as Dan Humphrey's college bucket list in Gossip Girl 309. I hope to a great extent it is as epic indeed

    ReplyDelete
  6. is epic list = senior bucket list? Methinks. the last sem of the last year in college life ends in 3 months, and epic lists are more exciting with time against you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peter Pan is one of my favorite fables walt disney, was pleased to find it here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peter Pan is one of my favorite fables walt disney, was pleased to find it here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never liked peter pan, not even when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete