11.24.2009

Any Suggestions?

I am a book freak. I've been reading since I could, which was probably around the time I was five. I started with the Sweet Valley series: Sweet Valley Kids, Sweet Valley Teens, Sweet Valley High. I knew the Wakefield twins and their posse like the back of my hand. From there I moved on to The Baby-Sitters' Club (you KNOW you read that stuff back in the day!) and to the Goosebumps series and to R.L. Stine. 


One day when I was ten and still living in California, my dad came home with a set of books that he said the people over at Barnes and Noble highly recommended. They were calling it the next big thing in young adult fiction, and they told him I would love it. They were right on both counts: it was Harry Potter, and I fell head over heels (I've been a Potter fan since--I pride myself on being a pre-movie one).


Coming back home to the Philippines when I was twelve, I relapsed into chick-lit for a while. I went Meg Cabot a-la Princess Diaries and got hooked on Gossip Girl years before anyone dreamed of turning it into a TV series. Then I discovered Stephen King. I read everything of his I could get my hands on: The Shining, Salem's Lot (still an all-time fave), Desperation, The Stand, The Tommyknockers, Carrie, The Talisman and Black House, and all seven books in The Dark Tower series. I adored his style, the depth of his characters, the place of the human mind in his brand of horror. Somewhere along the way I fell in love with fantasy. Tolkien at first intimidated me, but once I got into The Hobbit, the rest of the Ring series were an exciting foray into the genre. I went David Eddings, and Neil Gaiman, and then I veered into Haruki Murakami (whom I first encountered through Kafka on the Shore, a gift from a friend on my birthday) and Chuck Palahniuk. 

I did classics, too: Treasure Island, Black Beauty, The Great Gatsby. I dabbled in everything in between: Salman Rushdie, Christopher Paolini, Paolo Coelho, Jostein Gaarder, Dan Brown, John Grisham, Mario Puzo, Tracy Chevalier. I read books by unknown authors and unknown books by random authors. I could keep going, but I'm afraid I'm starting to sound a bit stuck-up and name-droppy. :) 

My point is, I love books. Always have. And now, I need recommendations. The book titles in Fully Booked all sort of scare me; there are so many unfamiliar ones that I don't know where to begin.  

And so, I ask: What, these days, is a good a read? Now no offense to the Twilight fans (I have read all four books, so I get an informed say) but I don't mean that kind of reading. I'm talking a real gripping story, the kind that stays in your mind for days. After I read Salem's Lot, for instance, I kept the curtains drawn at night for a week--I was so scared I'd see a pale, fanged face staring back at me. That kind of reading.
 


So to the two people who read this blog and to whoever else might drop by...any suggestions? :D

26 comments:

  1. try chuck palahniuk novels. very hard to put down. and he has quite a weird yet totally probable world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try giving comic books a try. :) I'll give you a challenge, if you don't like it, then it means that I've failed as a comic book advocate.

    This book hasn't failed to the ones I've shared this with. Y: The Last Man.

    Just give it a try. I promise you, you'll get hooked!

    Other than that, Blankets by Craig Thompson is an excellent read as well.

    Let me know if you decide to read them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi jessica. i listen to ur show Top 5 @ 5 everyday. i dropped by ur station exactly last year, it was CJ the DJ's birthday, on the Carpool.

    i recommend the book 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene. its a good book for marketing. but dont completely follow it because magiging 'masama ka'. it will help alot in other things.

    take care jessica! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jessica! Try Catcher In The Rye :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. since you're already reading palahniuk, how about trying some filipino novels? Who knows, you might find the local taste quite interesting.

    Try...

    Punch & Judas by Eman Lacaba (found in the book "salvaged prose")

    The Rosales Saga by F. Sionil Jose

    Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog by Edgar Samar..


    you could also try

    This Earth of Mankind by Pramoedya Ananta Toer and its successive sequels if it captures your interest

    1984 by George Orwell to balance things out

    The Stranger by Albert Camus (if you're into existentialism)..

    Or even graphic novels like watchmen, v for vendetta..

    Or manga like Trigun just to lighten things up.

    ..hmm.. I think these are enough for now..:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the suggestions! Interestingly...

    I've read Gaiman's Sandman graphic novels, I love them. Egay Samar was my sub prof for a half a sem, brilliant guy. Jiggy, I'll check out that Craig Thompson one you were suggesting.

    And Rap, thanks for listening! :) and now reading, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We almost have the same history of reading..:P I started out exactly that way.

    I read medical thrillers [Robin Cook] a lot, but I don't think it's the kind you're looking for. Although it is gripping.

    Try reading.. John Irving, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  8. try the girl with the dragon tattoo and yes filipino literatures

    ReplyDelete
  9. well if you liked lord of the rings, i suggest reading the wheel of time, if I'm not mistaken it's on it's 11th book already :) I'm a big fantasy novel guy so maybe you can try out the Krondor series too by raymond e. feist. :)

    and if you liked sandman and all of that, try getting into fables :) you can find all of this on the basement level of fully booked :)

    or if you're looking for a light read, try getting the bro code based on how i met your mother or pride & prejudice & zombies :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Off the top of my head:
    Markus Zusak's The Book Thief
    Junot Diaz' The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

    For graphic novels, try Fables and Y:The Last Man

    Hope that helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oops that should be "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao"

    Also, since you're a Gaiman fan, have you read The Graveyard Book? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi jessica, you have to try percy jackson and the olympians. If you loved harry potter you will love this series.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm sure the classics never fail. do try reading the original Beowulf, some Canterbury Tales, or even Dante's Divine Comedy. With them, you'll see how the medieval and middle age world thinks about life. Much more different than how we science-oriented people think today.

    Oh, and do balance it out with Albert Camus (The Fall, Myth of Sisyphus), Nietzsche (Thus Spoke Zarathustra) and Elie Wiesel (Night). These are greats that would make you ponder about life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As they probably teach in comm classes, even if your audience is composed of only 2 people who are touched/affected by what you share, then your mission as a communicator is complete. =)

    and this reply is meant to encourage you to keep doing it and to prove that more than 2 people read your blog...

    Regardless whether you are a fan of conspiracy and action thrillers (on film or in books) try reading the Robert Ludlum Bourne series (Identity, Ultimatum, Supremacy, etc) or the Tom Clancy Jack Ryan series (Patriot Games, Sum of All Fears, Clear & Present Danger, Hunt For Red October) so that you can compare and analyze how much was left out or changed (postively or negatively) in the screen adaptations.

    and to stimulate further discussions, get into a debate with your parents and elders as to who was the better Jason Bourne or Jack Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @parol14
    well jason bourne is better as a combatant and as an agent :)

    jack ryan became president so i guess he's better at communicating with other people :) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  16. @zeroboy I didn't mean to compare Jason Bourne and Jack Ryan, I meant to show that the books have been around longer than the movies as seen by different generations of actors playing both characters ie Jessica's dad's Jason Bourne would probably be Richard Chamberlain (70s or 80s) while this generation would know him to be Matt Damon.

    As for Jack Ryan and the correct order the books were released vs the movies- you have Alec Baldwin, Harisson Ford, and Ben Affleck playing the same guy over a span of 12 years (1990-2002)

    Happy Reading (or viewing)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you tried Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman? How about the Mitch Albom ones: Have a Little Faith, Tuesday with Morrie, The Five People You Meet in Heaven? So Many books out there, hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, if you really are into reading...you can take a shot at some of the literary classics. I've just finished reading Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy series (Inferno / Purgatorio / Paradiso) and it was a good read.

    Another suggestion would be reading the book versions of your favorite movies (if applicable). You'll discover that the books version can be a whole lot more fun than the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know if you're a C.S. Lewis fan, but a couple of my most favorite books ever are by him. I recommend both his "Mere Christianity" and "The Screwtape Letters".

    You have to be really awake and aware to read the former (Mere Christianity) coz it discusses the existence of God in a logical manner and in fact "proves" that He does exist in it's own implicit way. Nakakanosebleed nang onti, pero worth it in the end because it attempts to ground faith in near pure logic.

    The latter (The Screwtape Letters) is a much lighter read and is based on letters a senior devil writes to a novice to help him win the soul of his "patient". It's ironic and comical at some parts yet very insightful and pointed in others. You'll find out a lot about yourself and about how you actually let the devil get to you sometimes!

    I hope you'll give them a read, Jessica! :)

    I'm really glad I got a chance to share these books with you coz think you're SOOOOOOO beautiful and I am a bigbigbigbigbig fan of yours :D I hope you'll give them a read sometime!

    Take care and God bless you! :)

    -John V.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, John V. That's really nice of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just found your blog..enticed to comment because of the Babysitter's Club..love it!Keep posting!:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Time Traveler's Wife... I really liked it!:) Books of Cecelia Ahern are also nice... like PS I Love You (got really carried away here. Haha!) I am planning to read The Gift...:)
    The Lost Symbol..it's now the number one best-selling book in bookstores...
    If you want some comedy, read all the stand-alone novels of Sophie Kinsella! Top 1: Can You Keep a Secret.:)

    Try reading them!:) enjoy! Take care.:)

    -cams

    ReplyDelete
  24. For comic books (they're comic books. graphic novels is such an annoying phrase ;)

    Sandman
    Maus
    Bone

    For books, well it depends on what you like. Just for the heck of it, try most anything by Terry Pratchett. He's really funny. My favorites are:

    Guards! Guards!
    Reaper Man
    Men At Arms
    Going Postal
    Hogfather <- perfect for Christmas
    Carpe Jugulum
    Thud!
    The Wee Free Men
    A Hat Full of Sky

    cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Have you tried Paulo Coelho's novels? They are really inspiring. Should give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Give Sidney Sheldon's and Neil Gaiman's novels a try. It's awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete