11.25.2009

Any Suggestions? (UPDATE)

Incredible. It's so nice to see that people still really do read. I was just sort of putting the question out there with my last post, and 20 comments...! For the more hardcore blogger, that's nothing at all, I know. But I am so amazed that you guys (and I can comfortably address "you" out there, because I now actually believe that I am addressing someone) responded so enthusiastically. I am thoroughly humbled by this. :)

So, here's a follow-up to your comments, because I feel they all deserve to be addressed. 

First, on Filipino lit: I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I've done little more than dabble in our local selections. Most of my exposure to Philippine literature, both modern and historical, is courtesy of my Augustinian and Jesuit education. Your suggestions will all be noted. Just to share, though, one of my favorite poems of all time is by Filipino poet Angela Manalang-Gloria. The more heavy-duty readers here are probably all rolling their eyes and going, "How cliche!" But I can't help it, Soledad strikes a chord with me. It did from the first time I read it and it still does every time I do. :D

Someone suggested that I go into another fantasy series... my thing about that is that I have to keep buying the books, and it's just agonizing to have to wait to get my hands on the next installment after a cliffhanger ending. I'm sure you know the feeling. :D Plus, it's costly and a bit too time-consuming. I'm hoping to stick to one-part novels for now. :) 

Regarding the Classics and the classics (and I learned recently, courtesy of my current lit teacher, that there is an important difference between the two), I enjoy them when I'm feeling particularly intellectual. You know, the "oh hey I'm feeling smart today" kind of feeling? Only then can I go Dante and Homer and all them guys. For the record though, I have always had a particular interest in the Arthurian legend. Has anyone read Le Morte d'Arthur? I've always wondered if that could count as proper leisure reading.
 


Somebody also mentioned Einstein's Dreams--that book is a dream! Love it. :) As for Robert Ludlum, I did get into the Bourne series for a bit, but I can only take so much espionage in one go. I like variety in my literature. :D

But okay, my point here really is THANK YOU. This is so awesome, that people respond. 

Can you tell I'm excited? I totally got carried away. :D

8 comments:

  1. Yes, reading for a habit is a bit rare nowadays, and it is quite impressive for those who still have it. Information may be rich on the internet, but the learnings and the experience you get from a reading a book is more meaningful and magical (and easier on the eyes too, if I may add).

    And of course, people will respond to you! You can communicate well through your writing and you encourage your readers to respond. It's not really hard to connect, especially in your case. You're quite popular nowadays. :p

    I'm feeling someone's going to update her blog like, everyday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting about the Classics is that they bring out a worldview very very different than our own (which, of course, require that you think very very well - hence being intellectual).

    fantasy series are for those who really won't have to do anything for a week or two. two reasons: you can't catch up very well if there is important work to be done, and two, you might be asking for more up to the point where work would be ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Jessica! :) It's really good to see that you're into books like the rest of the bookworms who leave a comment behind.

    Finding bookworms who read books which don't include scandals and gossip are really hard to find. Really grateful I came across your blog thanks to Twitter. :)

    As a Filipino (of course) I would really suggest Bob Ong. His nonsense would actually make a lot of sense and his books can brighten up one's day. Humor and stuff that we Filipinos experience everyday... they're always part of his books which is pretty amazing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. blogging can be addictive. *evil grin*

    ReplyDelete
  5. makes we wanna start reading stuff aside from textbooks. haha!

    Thanks Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is hard to start reading the Classics (and the classics). But hey, the Arthurian legend is a good way to start.

    Keep those blogs coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoy Je!!! :D

    I never see you around school anymore! It's not like the comm dept has suddenly grown big and all white (WHAAATT??) like the new rizal lib ha! HUWAHAHA. Pinagalitan pa!:)) I guess you're really just busy & I'm glad you have thesis off your shoulders now. :)

    Anyway, I found your blog through Earl and I figured out that this might be the closest place I can talk to you since Tirol's class (ANG LUMA HUWAHAHA. DATING COMM DEPT PA TO!). :))

    Anyway part 2, I miss you and I'm just around for whatever. You know naman we comm people are kabutes around school HAHAHA. And oh, good luck with Media Law. I heard Imbong's really tough on your class. :| Owell, labyu Je!

    Kiss kiss hug hug,
    Portia :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jessica :) I just stumbled upon your blog through Twitter. I'm a 2d year comtech major planning to shift to ab comm next year. (I don't know why I'm saying this, haha). I also love reading books. I always rush to the bookstore when go to the mall. xD

    I'd like to recommend books by Jodi Picoult. She's an amazing writer. I've read Nineteen Minutes and My Sister's Keeper, both of which have touched me so much.

    I also discovered Philippa Gregory, the author of The Other Boleyn Girl. If you're interested in historical fiction, I think you'll like her books. I only have one of her many novels though, The Constant Princess. :)

    You seem such a nice and sweet girl. I'm always inspired by girls who rock the world by being themselves and doing what they love (corny as it sounds). :)

    -Desiree

    ReplyDelete