11.22.2009

What Are Weekends For?


It's a rhetorical question. I mean, obviously, weekends are supposed to be rest days; God Himself had one, didn't He? "And on the seventh day, He rested," etcetera. But I guess if you're gunning to start your career at an early age, which the media industry in particular practically requires now, then real rest days do not exist for you. Or at least, they ought not exist, if you're really serious. 

I like to think I'm beginning to get real serious. Graduation is looming, after all--March isn't all that far from November. And that old saying about time and flying really applies when you're approaching something big and scary, which in my case is The Real World. So here I am, working part-time, trying to get the best possible transcript out of my collegiate life, putting myself out there to get both money and exposure. 

Being surrounded by people who have been through or are going through what I am is both inspiring and intimidating. It's like: Okay, they can do it, then so can I! But at the same time: Can I, really? Doesn't his or her presence in the industry make the competition more formidable? And you can't really dwell on it because if you have time to be dwelling, then you're clearly not working hard enough. It's a tough game.

So what did I do this weekend to enhance my chances for survival--and eventually, success--in the industry of my choice? I boarded for radio 6 to 9 AM. At 10, I attended an orientation for a required activity at school: immersion [in an underprivileged sector of society. Ateneans, you know what I'm going on about]. At 12:30, I went to help out a friend with his thesis project, out of which I emerged with photos I can use for my portfolio (I figured out some time ago that it's always good to have some decent photos in storage if you want to get a job where your face will be shown on TV. Ha.). 

I took a couple hours to rest at home, but by 8 PM I was at the venue of a hosting gig I did for a school event--Shindig '09: Rebirth. Fancy. My friends/colleagues (what do I call them, I wonder?) Mia and Boom were there with me. We ended the program at 10:30. I was dead asleep by midnight. 


Photo courtesy of my good friend Piaroj. Stolen! :)

Is this really as hectic a schedule as I make it out to be, for a Saturday? Maybe. But more importantly, will it pay off someday?

I'll let you know a few entries from now. I hope.

5 comments:

  1. In a cyberworld were there's Facebook and Twitter, who initially mashed blogs to days past - it's cool to see everyone's starting to blog again :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, my job doesn't give me the monetary satisfaction that I'm supposed to be looking for but it doesn't matter. I also do get lazy at times but at the end of the day, I have fun. I love what I do.

    And you seem to be enjoying your job too.

    Someday... A word that drains out the patience out of people, myself included. But we will get there. Success is but a stone's throw away.

    Good luck! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yeah... Welcome to the colorful world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. jessica899,
    kilig naman, im credited:] haha, your blog's so cute, im hooked. visit us, friday, that's dre's last day:( miss youu - piaroj

    ReplyDelete