1.05.2010

The Lion's Wish

I got a late Christmas gift today from a friend of mine. It's a tumbler that says:
Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."
I suppose it is. When you're the one at fault and you've done the close-to-unforgivable, the sense of helplessness is overwhelming. It takes an immense amount of courage to keep fighting, and to keep believing that you can overcome your weaknesses and prove your worth. Especially if it's about something that you could have avoided completely, and should have already known better about. This kind of thing, it's not the courage of a soldier at war or of a firefighter rescuing a baby from a burning building or even of a kid standing up to a bully, but it is courage nonetheless. 

Because while I've come to realize that it takes strength of heart to not give up on someone, it takes a shitload of strength of mind not to give up on yourself. Props to the Lion here: he made it all the way to Oz to ask the Wizard for courage, even if he didn't have any the whole way there. 

So before I go to sleep tonight, let me make the same petition the Lion did: I wish for courage. 

I will try again tomorrow, and I will try harder.

5 comments:

  1. I like this entry. Thanks for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a little green 900-year-old once said, "Do or do not, there is no try..." but don't let that stop you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It takes a shitload of strength of mind not to give up on yourself."

    This couldn't be put any better. I'll be quoting you on this in a blog post, if I may. :)

    What a nice, inspiring post this is. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ricky Gamboa: thank YOU.

    @parol14: i won't, don't worry. i usually abide by Yoda's words anyway. :)

    @johna: yes you may. and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fight the good fight, scaredy cat! hehehe =) can't wait for your other college bucket list entries

    ReplyDelete