1.14.2010

Learning to Drive

Okay, so think of life as a great big highway where cars speed past one another on their way to their various stops and destinations. And the problems we have are equivalent to car trouble.

Well, I've just spent a week in a pretty big ditch. It was my fault I fell into it, mostly, because I wasn't really watching where I was going and so I didn't do anything to avoid it. Tonight, though, it feels like the tow truck finally arrived and has started lifting my poor little absolutely beautiful white BMW (shut up, this my metaphor) out of the ditch. It'll take some time before I get out completely and even more time to fix the damage caused by the fall, but it feels crazy good to finally be getting somewhere. To finally be getting back on track. 

Now I've fallen into ditches many times. In fact, I think I've driven over every pothole, manhole, hump, and bump that's been put in front of me for the past eight years or so. Every time it happened, I'd pull my car out of the hole and keep on driving, or else find another car to work with, without ever looking back. Without ever really learning. 

And so I'd run over another bump and fall into another ditch. Same story, again and again. This time, though, I've learned my lesson. It's partly because of the damage--this car is particularly special to me--but it's also because I've gotten pretty damned sick of falling into ditches. It's time I learned to look at the road, to really watch where I'm going and be aware of what I'm doing. 

Also, I know for a fact that the damage will be irreparable next time I carelessly let myself drive into a ditch. I may never be able to drive again.


So. I'm getting back on the highway now. Here's to learning to drive properly for the first time in my life. 

10 comments:

  1. aww! don't worry bish. I'll operate a tow trucking service or I'll help you jack up your car if I see you in that ditch same way you helped me when I got stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks bish! You're sweet. But no more ditches for me. Full kwento when I see you again. Miss you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What an intersesting introspective article. Its so personal and yet so universal. It digs deep into your soul without exposing yourself entirely. Those that really know you can read into it, while those that don't are equally absorbed by it. and for the curious and nosey, it makes them want to get to know you to decipher the real story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY WELL written. Just as much as you value your car, your call is drop dead for you too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @parol14: thanks! kind of lame reply to your analysis but it's all i can think of. :p

    @Tony A: thank you too! and i know... that's why i really gotta take good care of it...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you've definitely got more potholes and replacement cars coming your way until you star to learn to pave your way through miles ahead to get to your desired destination. Ironically you'll only learn to master this as you inch along

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's true that we need to learn to drive ourselves at some point, we need not always drive alone though. Yes there will be backseat drivers, but there are always those who are willing to go through bumpy roads and nasty potholes with you, give you directions when you make a wrong turn, and those who'll give you a jumpstart or even a tow when you need it. ;)

    *kampai*

    ReplyDelete
  8. someone once said, there has never been a night without a dawn. that's a positive thing right?

    there will be potholes, manholes, humps, and bumps that you'll be finding yourself dealing with along the way.

    but like that night always having a dawn at the end of it, by God's grace, there will always be a tow truck to pull you out of that ditch. build muscles too cuz sometimes you might need to pull yourself out of that ditch.

    but what's more important is to get out of that ditch if and when you fall. every single time.

    there could be that nice rest stop we all like just around the bend.

    and drive carefully! hahaha

    dee

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remembered reading this post of yours one time. I truly understand what you feel since I am also learning how to drive. I have just written an article about my experince with driving. Please do check out my blog entry, "Addie", if you have time. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete