1.11.2010

Avatar Adventure (Fail) Part 2

So it happened again: I did not watch Avatar at IMAX. Dammit!!!!! Among other obscenities I am muttering in my head. Let me tell you how it went.


DAMN YOU IMAX SENIOR CITIZEN DUDE!
(see updates for more; i.e., why Imax is awesome)


At 7:20 tonight my friend called the IMAX theater at Mall of Asia. "Are there still available seats for your 10PM showing of Avatar?" he asked.

"Yes sir," the IMAX lady replied. "We still have 96 seats available."

Five minutes later we were in the car on our way to MOA, all the way from my house in Libis (near Eastwood). We took the fastest route we could think of: C-5 into Fort Bonifacio, then McKinley Street out into EDSA southbound, past Pasay until we hit Mall of Asia. At the Taft MRT--we had made it to that point in an amazing 30 minutes at rush hour, no less--we called the theater again to check if there were still empty seats.

"We still have 45 seats available, sir," the lady said.

We drove like mad 'til we hit the parking lot. My friend then told me to put up the windows and lock the car as he sprinted off in the direction of the IMAX theaters. I did what he told me and made my way into the mall as well. A little while later, he called me saying that there was a line of 22 people in front of him (he actually counted!) and there were 38 tickets left.

My heart pounded as I made my way to the theaters. Could we make it? Or would this be a repeat of New Year's Eve? I ignored my feelings of doubt and entered the area of the ticket booths.

He was almost there. Five or so people away. There were still 22 seats left. I looked away for a moment and suddenly I heard my friend say, "Who the f*ck took all the tickets?"

Apparently, one guy--some senior citizen complete with card--went and bought 20 tickets all in one go. TWENTY TICKETS. What, was the guy paying for his barangay or something? It was a major fail. My friend and I went home disappointed... except that we bought tickets for next Monday's 10PM showing of Avatar.

I can no longer watch this movie in regular theaters. It's 3D or nothing now: I've been spurned twice! At this point I guess you're wondering what happened the first time around. Well, let me make it short and sour: it was December 31st and my friends and I were looking to end our year with three hours of awesomeness. We drove out to MOA at 12nn that day only to find that the tickets were sold out. Yes. Disappointment in sign after sign. 

Sigh. It's a good thing there's still next week to look forward to... and I swear, this movie better KICKASS.

6 comments:

  1. The wrongest thing to say to someone in your situation, "You're cute when you're angry...", but you are...and don't worry, it will all be worth it. I watched it at a regular theater and thought to myself "This is what IMAX and 3D theaters were created for." Looking forward to next Tuesday's blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's interesting is you got there in more or less 30 mins. Now the question. Who's the driver? I would like to beat that time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes the movie will kick ass... both literally and figuratively... because after sitting through the film your ass will feel like it's been kicked a lot of times :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry.. You'll see this movie real soon din :) This post is so detailed that it made me feel how you really felt that day. I must say, it's really frustrating but ang cute mo when you feel that way. Stay sweet and God Bless in everything you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! You're a celebrity now, the gods heard your pleas and have rewarded you. Remember us when you are in paradise. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete