9.30.2010

(Possibly) The End Of An Era

September 30, 2010. I know that whatever the results of today's events are, this is going to be a day I will remember for a very long time, if not for the rest of my life. My mind is a swirling mess of color and feeling: blue and white and the faux wood color of the court floor, along with whirling masses of green and yellow, orange and black, fear and excitement, and tension that ripples through a crowd, tension as alive as the people bringing it forth. 

There are sounds, too: bellows of anger mingling with roars of joy, shrill whistling that rips through pressure like a knife slashing through flesh, a chatter of voices in my ear and all around me and in my own head.


But I'm not out there yet. No, I'm still here, in my quiet bedroom, colorful in its own way but nothing at all like the glaring brightness of the Araneta Coliseum at the height of a finals match. All I hear are birds tittering their innocent nonsense and cars passing by on the street outside my window. Everything around me is calm; it's my mind that's beginning to shift gears and and gain speed.

Whatever the results of today's events, I'm going to remember this day. Remember it as one of the last, if not the last day, of a heart-pounding, pressure-building, nerve-wracking time of my life. Remember it as the end of an era for me. So in the next couple of hours, I'm going to outwardly calm myself, gather together all my thoughts and feelings and rearrange them in an exquisitely bound, perfectly tight package at the center of my being. I will finish writing, run a little to loosen the nerves, and take a shower. I will go to Araneta, attend mass, write my pre-game and first quarter reports. 

And then, when I step out onto the court behind the team, when I take my place courtside for my school potentially for very the last time, I'm going to undo that secure knot in my stomach and let all hell break loose. I'm giving it all I got out there today, like I know the boys will, like I know everyone will. 

Here we go, ladies and gentlemen. See you at the games.

23 comments:

  1. i just got the goosebumps reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Jessica!Superb writing skills. and it really is a nerve wracking game two!! :) excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give it a last one big fight Jessica! Thanks for being Ateneo's courtside reporter! And yes, see you at the game later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice! u truly are a writer! =)
    i feel for you! =)
    GO ATENEO! =)
    they can do it and so are you! =)
    one thing's for sure, you made ateneo really proud by being their reporter for 2 consecutive years, and probably a 3-peat at that!

    GOODLUCK JESSICA! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goosebumps galore! What you feel for the team, I feel for you as you go out there and participate in what will be your history. I am excited for you and with you for your personal milestone as well as for the school's and am thrilled about your being able to be a part of it all. Thank you for the sneak peek behind the scenes, thank you for sharing your point of view. The end of an era, the beginning of another...

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey goodluck with later. just don't put too much pressure on yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. logical_chaos

    It is always a case of Alpha and the Omega. We tend to know the value of something worthwhile when we are about to end it. But the memories do go on. Ateneo ahd the whole UAAP family thank you for being such an amazing courtside reporter. May your next endeavor be as fruitful as your experience in the last 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is kilabot, Jeme. Good luck! OBF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wah thanks guys!! :) i'm out of words na :-p

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just the beginning of something great for you, Ms. Jessica! All the best for your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Je t'aime Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  12. much as we'll enjoy the thrill of the Finals & the possible 3-peat for Ateneo, we will also surely miss you not just as one of the favorite eye candies in a sport ruled by men but as a superb courtside reporter of great team as well...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go Ateneo! One Big Fight! maybe in future nasa ASAP ka na.. :D .. ingat lagi! Goodluck to Ateneo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Possibly just happened. Jessica Mendoza will celebrate with the boys. Ateneo wins the UAAP Men's basketball championship.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations Jessica. Job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did it! We made it! What a way to close off your last UAAP game! Destiny fulfilled, History made, now on to greater things for you. Celebrate and savor the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just read this and I'm very happy for you, Jessica. I congratulate the Ateneo Blue Eagles for winning their 3rd straight championship. And of course, I congratulate you!! Watching Ateneo games would be incomplete without you. It's the only reason why I watch it. I know you are very very happy right now. Cherish the moment! :) Again, I'm very happy for you! Congratulations! I will still listen to you and Andi on Magic 89.9. My friends and I will drop by some time! :) More power to you! And Godless! -Chason

    ReplyDelete
  18. even though i'm not a true blue atenean, i felt like one whenever i watch the ateneo games whether live or on tv. the 1 point leadof the tamaraws at end of the 1st half was a relief. but i really hoped it was the ateneo which had that lead for you to give the halftime break thing. it's a great & satisfying win even for me. however,when mr. boom gonzalez said it's your last year as Ateneo's CSR,suddenly i felt sad. and as you were doing the interview w/ kirk,nico & ryan,i was wondering of how you feel at that time. i noticed that your voice sounded a little different than the usual (mixture of happiness & sadness?!). but yeah,it was indeed a great win & loss at the same time. even so,since i heard that ateneo will be the host next year,i'm hoping that they will request to add another year for you as their csr. hehe.. sana sana.:) but hey,you did a really good job! as the season finale of dawson's creek was entitled (if my memory serves me right),"all good things...come to an end," i believe that your presence in the uaap will never be forgotten. marami ng nagsasabi na nanonood lang sila ng games dahil sa'yo. haha! the force is always with you. again,congratulations! God bless! take good care of yourself always! -akkinlos

    ReplyDelete
  19. jessica you are one of the best writter for me what ever happen i'm a reader for you...:)congratulation to blue eagles and ms. jessica....:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jessica. Congratulations as a writer of this blog. Continue to write to stand the truth and set you free! Take care and God bless you.

    chester2278.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. @chester sir chester, thank you 4 the 1st comment on my blog. Actually, it was officially open to those Andi and Jessica fans like myself. Because of my inspiration on Jessica's blog.. I've pursued myself to create my own, expect more of my insights on my blog. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  22. hey,i've just read your blog.you're such a good writer.a terrific one.i admire you:beauty, wit and talent rolled up into one.i am just 17 and i hope i could express myself the way you do.go girl.i am your fan:))

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now THAT is a narrative.

    Amazing post there, Jessica.

    And thank you for an amazing coverage ^_^

    ReplyDelete