2.16.2010

Gonna Need the Force for This One

Ah, Lent. That distinctly Catholic time of the year where meat looks that much more delicious (because you can't have it :p Isn't that so much like the rest of life? LOL). Now I was never the type--and I don't say this proudly, I'm just stating a fact--to participate particularly in the rituals of Lent. Fasting, abstinence, sacrifice, penitence, all those things--my family aren't exactly strict followers. We're more the kind of people who, while heartily eating pancakes and bacon, stop in mid-swallow to say, "Oh crap. It's Friday?"

It's not a nice thing, I suppose. Every year, though, I try to make some kind of Lenten sacrifice; a personal abstinence of sorts. Usually it's something inane or diet-friendly, like no rice, or no soda, or no cursing. And more often than not I don't get through the forty days. I'll end up at a party and I can't really drink vodka unless it's with Sprite or Mountain Dew or something, and well, there goes the sacrifice. Some sacrifice.


 
Old-school Master Yoda, I wanna be more like you! From blogs.fayobserver.com.
 
But this year, I want to do something different. I feel like I have been so insanely, incredibly blessed--to the point that it's really hard to ask for much more, to be anything but humbly grateful for everything I've been given. So I want to do a real sacrifice, something that takes real effort and brings real positivity to myself and to others. I have therefore decided to do a Yoda and give up anger for forty days and forty nights.

Sounds easy, you might say. Well, it isn't for me. The NO-ANGER rule shall apply to annoying family members, to people who merit some backbiting (admit it, you know at least five people who do! :p and if you don't...well, wow, you're a nice person, good job), to situations involving road rage (and oh that's gonna be tough), and to rude people. I will do my best to exhibit Jedi-like qualities such as patience, perseverance...and yeah, all that stuff. I will abide by Yoda's famous and cliched quote: "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering..."

So yeah. I'm swearing off anger starting tomorrow. Please serve as witness. Time to be nice. :)

6 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! omg. bis, i totally love the yoda bit. may the force be with you indeed. i shall hold you accountable. starting tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's not surprising you used yoda here. the way you geek is very cute. indeed, may the force be with you on this one, jessica! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow i'm amazed/loving that people are feeling my whole star wars-ness. :D and yes, bis, i need ypou of all people to help me in this mighty task. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. The force will be with you...always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cool and lovely Star Wars geek. And as Yoda always says - Do or do not...there is no try. Or was that Grover...

    ReplyDelete
  6. talk about the force. have you seen this one?
    http://kotsylepew.multiply.com/photos/album/9/Apir#photo=1
    heh

    ReplyDelete