8.26.2010

No Matter How Much I Rack My Brains

Before I get started, a disclaimer for anyone asking why I don't write about Real Issues or The Important Things or The Current State of Affairs: I like keeping my opinions to those things to myself. I don't wanna start an argument, or a "healthy debate," or any kind of controversy--not here, anyway. I've seen people whose blogs were attacked just because they decided to write about something else at a time when Important Things were happening. I say, I do care. I just don't wanna talk about it.

Now, let's move on to today's shallow gripe...


Passwords. Oh, bane of my online existence! These days, everyone has an account for just about everything, and every account needs to be password protected. I--and I'm hardly the most Internet-savvy of folk--already have at least seven (7) different online accounts that have varied usernames and passwords: 2 individual email addresses, one that I share with my radio partner, 1 blog, 1 Twitter account, 1 Facebook account, and an onlilne bank account. I also have my computer's password and the password to the Internet here at home (sometimes it disconnects and I have to type it in to reconnect).

I mean, I get whey they're necessary. I also know that we shouldn't really use the same passwords for different accounts, because that makes it easy for hackers to get into all of them. But my memory... how it fails me when faced with a blinking cursor on that blank space labeled "password"! And it's strange because I never had problems memorizing things in school. It's like passwords are my Kryptonite: my brain rejects them.

I once created an account--and this was way back in high school--for SAT mock testing. I wanted to try and take the SAT's and the site allowed me to find out if I was ready to do so. Of course, the day after I signed up, I forgot what my password was. Protocol is to hit the "Forgot username/password" button, which I did. It sent a link to my email, yadda-yadda-yadda... and then it asked me the security question. Get this: I didn't know the answer. I knew the real answer to the question, but apparently that wasn't the answer I had put in when I was making the account. I assume I wanted to make it difficult to answer. Good job, self! To this day, I don't know what the answer to that security question is. 

I have at least three other similar stories, one of them having to do with me forgetting my password immediately upon activation of a recent online account I opened for my bank records, but maybe I'll tell that another time. 

In the meantime, I'll have to satisfy myself with noting down my passwords in a secret place where no one (I hope) can find them... and checking this secret list whenever I have to access any of my accounts. How sad.

8 comments:

  1. leave the current issues to the so-called-experts I say. Bravo for writing about things that you want to write about and share with your readers. As for remembering passwords for all your online stuff, have u ever considered biometric devices instead? those fingerprint readers that are easily installed on your computer that take away the need to remember passwords. all you will need to to is sync them up once and you are set. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @parol14: you lost me at "biometric" :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Jessica! you are so pretty. :)

    want to take you out on a date. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mwahahaha...:) here's something to help you find your way...http://www.cadmusmicro.com/pdf/Fingerprint.pdf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have the same problem... at work i have to log in to like 10 different tools on a daily basis.. i had moments like i just stare at my computer for a few minutes thinking of my password... often times i would have to ask our IT guy to reset my password... same goes with my personal accounts.... it's frustrating...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jessica, mabuti ka pa you have some things you can share on your blog and you've done it well. Well, as for me.. I have an audienceless blog and sometimes I don't know how to say my thoughts just like what you do. Could you give me a little advice on how to improve my blogging skills? Thanks a lot, I know you would be a great writer someday

    Please visit my blog as well:
    http://skybluemirage24.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you take SAT to get into the Ateneo?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jessica,

    Just about every browser has a remember password option, but if anyone else has access to your PC/MAC don't bother using that. However, firefox has a neat feature where you can have a master password for everything.

    ReplyDelete