5.25.2010

A precarious balance

Everyone has dreams, don't they? And in one way or another, everyone is trying to make his or her own dreams come true. That kid practicing his three-pointer in a street court, for instance: he's probably dreaming of growing up to make a game-winning shot in the NBA. Or that college student slaving away at a lit critique paper, she's probably hoping to see her name next to her debut novel in a bestseller list someday. Whatever it is, everyone has a dream. And everyone somehow works to make it come to life. 

And yet... how to make that happen? Where do people go to make their dreams come true?

I mean, a success story usually consists of overcoming the odds, seizing the opportunity, taking the risks. But what most people don't see right away--and what I, in my post-graduate bum life of the past couple months, am beginning to realize--is that a success story is just that: a story. Which means it skips over the parts that aren't particularly juicy; it condenses into a brief line or two the seemingly endless period of not-worth-telling that comes before an opportunity arises and is seized. 

I remember part of a quote by Alicia Keys, where she said something about people not realizing that her "overnight success was seven years in the making." Girl waited a long-ass time before winning any Grammys. And even when those seven years are recognized in the Alicia Keys Success Story, the storyteller--E! or People Magazine or whatever--always reduces the hard work and the interminable waiting into picturesque little facts of life. "She started playing the piano at age seven. She then went to the Professional Performing Arts High School..." But what happened in between? What about the moments when Ms. Keys felt confused or bored or lost?

My point is, life is only a story after the fact. While it's happening, life is...well, life. And it doesn't skip over the bad or boring or uncertain parts. Let's face it: life isn't exciting every minute of every day. And a person can't always, incessantly be doing something to make what they want happen. There are periods of dullness, of waiting. I'm coming to see that it's just as important to keep cool and to enjoy the moment as it is to make it happen. Patience is as much a means of dream-making as is action.

Right now, two months after I walked off that stage with my (symbolic) diploma in hand, I'm still learning to be patient. A big part of me is itching to get a job, anything at all, so I can begin proving myself to the real world and showing everyone that I can make it big, too. Especially since I see my contemporaries doing just that. But another part says that blindly running into employment would be equally damaging as not lifting a finger to find work. Older and wiser people than I have told me that success is, on the whole, a precarious balance of action and inaction, hard work and patience...and just a touch of luck and faith.

June's coming. Guess I'll have to wait and see what it has to offer in the way of my dreams.

9 comments:

  1. Life is what happens to you while trying to compartmentalize its parts into cohesive chapters of your story. Enjoy and go with the flow, find yourself, find your passion and have a great time doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nakatulong itong blog mo saken, as I'm as well experiencing the same thing right now. Fresh graduate is equal to quarter life crisis? hehehe. keep it up! continue inspiring people :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, whatever it is.. good luck with that! Right now I'm an incoming 2nd year college and I still have 3 more years to survive. I just really wish I could make it =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice piece ... it's sort of inspiring what you wrote about a success story being not always about greatness and determined action. That even successful people had idle days ... It makes them human actually and somehow that makes it easier to aspire and reach for what could have been just a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you look like Sue, the hmong girl in Gran Torino =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi je! i super miss you. :)

    xianne linked me here, and im so glad she did. it's comforting to realize im not the only one going through this period of despair / disorientation / lost-ness. rar. i just wish more people would be supportive and understanding.

    hug!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow. i like this post. thanks jessica for giving inspiration and hope for those who are still in search for something in their life (whatever it is - a job, income, etc.). i'll share this one to my friends. :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a nice entry. Helped me sort out some thoughts in my head. Most of the people I know are in this kind of dillema. I guess it helps to be patient and have faith sometimes.

    ReplyDelete