3.26.2010

Numb

It hasn't really hit me yet in full, the fact that I'm graduating. I realized it a little bit earlier today, when I put my toga on for the first time and heard Baccalaureate Mass at school. But even then--even while surrounded by my co-graduates at the Ateneo High School covered courts, with everyone in near-full graduation attire--I still felt detached, as though I was watching someone else go through the motions of culminating their academic career.

Whether or not I wrap my brain around it in time, however, it is happening, and it's happening to me. After fifteen years of uniforms, textbooks, report cards, evil teachers and awesome ones, friends, relationships, enemies, cafeteria food, school-hours traffic, homework, classrooms, and the whole she-bang... it's over. Tomorrow, sometime between four-thirty in the afternoon and eight at night, I'm going to get up on that stage, shake Fr. Ben's hand, and descend the stairs once again, no longer a student.

Good God. I'm relieved, of course, knowing that the burden of the academe will, in mere hours, be lifted from my shoulders at last. 

But I'm also utterly shocked. I have no idea how to not be a student. I've always been a student, almost as far back as I can remember: I was a student-leader, a student-driver, a student-teacher, a student-DJ, a student-everything. There was always a school project in the works, a test coming up, homework to finish. I can't imagine a life where the years are not divided into semesters and summer breaks, where I do not, twice to four times a year, receive feedback on my performance in the form of report cards. It seems completely beyond me.

And so I arrive the end of my student-journey sort of in awe of the fact that I'm actually here. I suppose that's why sentimentality and sadness take a back seat for me in this--I'm still caught up in the idea that it's all done. No more going back. Never again. I still have no clue what those words mean, what implications they bring to me and my life. 

Maybe when I finally, actually walk (or march) up the stage tomorrow, or maybe when I finally, actually have my diploma in my hands, maybe then it will hit me. Or maybe it won't hit me til the first time I'm turned down for a job, or til I report for my first day of a new (second) job. Who knows? For now, though, all I can feel is an odd, limbo-ish feeling of happy-sad numbness.

Congratulations. :p

17 comments:

  1. i love it! it is really sad to be not who you are for almost half of your life.. i feel the same way too.. because all i know is how to be a student and a classmate. hope everything will be fine after i stepped down the stage.. CONGRATULATIONS Jessica.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you Jessica! It was nice reading your blog. Jesscia the DJ-Everything :) Happy Graduation. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Jessica! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jessica! Congratulations! I read that you are also a Cum Laude! Good Job to you! =D
    You are my new idol! I mean, how do you manage your time? You have school work and radio work and you are a Cum Laude. You are a genius! I love you Jessica! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be sure to wear waterproof mascara/eye make-up on graduation day for that one last meaningful "we Stand on a hill..." thing. I'm sure it will be more dramatic and emotionally stirring than any of the post-game renditions you were a part of.

    I may be a mere listener/follower/fan who you don't know personally, and I can only imagine how proud your parents and loved ones are of what you have accomplished. Yet, I feel a sense of pride in knowing that you have come out on top of the many challenges that you took on.

    Whatever fears and anxieties you may have of finding your way in the world should be used to propel you to even greater heights. Enjoy the celebrations, extending my congratulations.

    It's time to soar little ms blue eagle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! :) for your grad and being a cum laude! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. After all of your hard work you've spent on your studies, your career as a DJ and (luckily...) being a courside reporter for your Alma Mater, here you are now... a graduate of Cum Laude for being an outstanding media girl. Jessica, Andi is really correct. Everyone starts to the bottom like you've started your DJ journey as a Junior jock. You really showed to everyone that you're a Jessica Mendoza that's really extraordinary and I'm really happy for you as a fan. I must tell you that I try my best to be like you for you're also one of the DJs I idolized just like Andi. Congratulations and wish you luck on the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys are awesome! Thank you for all the well-wishing and support! I am very kilig :) Catch you guys when I'm not a student anymore! Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Je! I'm so proud of you! I know you'll do grrrreaaat in whatever field you choose to be in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! I'm sure you'll do better--if not just as well--in the professional world. Savor the moment, enjoy the occasion, be proud of what you accomplished, and look forward to a bright future ahead of you. Congratulations! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You just said what I'm afraid of: not knowing how to not be a student. But take courage in the fact that the end of everything something means the start of another, not exactly better, but different, and exciting, and challenging! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Ex-Student =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is in the stage where the fact will hit, when you receive your diploma and get your medal, walk up to the parents' aisle and have them hang the stuff on you (I did feel that). And there, reality will bite back twice. First, it will be "Goodbye notes and classes," and second, it will be "Oh crap, I'm officially unemployed."

    And as a fan, I wish you luck. Don't go around thinking that you'll get turned down for the job. To quote from a lot of people: "Being a cum laude graduate, they would be stupid enough to not accept you."

    And I'm also writing stuff about how graduation hit me. Feel free to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ms. Jessica, Congratulations to you. We don't know each other but I know you deserve all you have right now. Soar high!

    Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jessica, Congratulations to you. We both don't know each other but I know you deserve all you have right now. Soar High!

    Love how you write.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jessica, as I promised 3 weeks ago.. here's my blog you should wanna check. I hope you like it: skybluemirage24.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. so beautiful words of a true graduate...congratulations jessica..... :)

    ReplyDelete